Scald Prevention in the Home
What are scalds?
A scald is a burn caused by hot liquid, food or steam. Over 60% of all burns to young children are scalds. The main causes are:
- Hot beverages or food
- Hot bath water
- Cooking accident
How can you prevent a scald injury?
Follow these simple household modifications to prevent an injury:
- Use back burners when cooking and turn pot handles toward the back
- Always use a travel coffee mug with a lid when a child is present
- Create a 3 ft. kids free zone around the stove
- Know your child’s reach capability. Keep all food and beverages at the center of the table
- Set your water heater to 120 degrees or lower
- Always test bath water temperature before bathing your child